At least 59 people have been killed in a suspected jihadist attack in north-eastern Nigeria.
Gunmen entered a remote village in the Gubio district of Borno state on Tuesday afternoon, killing dozens.
The village was also razed, in what is believed to have been a reprisal attack, according to local reports.
No group has yet claimed the attack. The AFP news agency said that 59 bodies had been recovered, while Reuters reported that 69 people were killed.
Read Also: Wins Cross River State Councils Election
Reuters reported that the militants suspected villagers of sharing information about their movements to security forces, while AFP said jihadist fighters had been killed by locals trying to protect livestock.
While it is unclear who carried out the attack, both the jihadist group Boko Haram and an offshoot which fights under the banner of the Islamic State group have carried out deadly attacks in the north-east of Nigeria.
Boko Haram, which sparked global outrage in 2014 when they abducted more than 270 schoolgirls in Chibok in Borno state, is also active in neighbouring Chad, Niger and Cameroon.
Read Also: Aso Rock Presidential Villa
In March, its militants ambushed and killed at least 47 Nigerian soldiers in the country’s north east, before killing almost 100 soldiers in Chad the following day.
The group’s decade-long insurgency has left thousands dead and displaced many more.
Have you visited our Market Place Today? Follow this link to visit Globalinfo247.com Market Place now to check out our affordable products & services that might interest you and solve your current needs at a very cheap price. You can also Advertise your Own Products & Services at the Market Place for Free by clicking on this link to Get Started!
Create a thread for all your related questions to get answers from other members and professionals in the field. Click here on the “Questions & Answers” Section to view or submit your Questions or Answers to previously asked related questions.