Bitterleaf (Vernonia amygdalina) with African common names include grawa (Amharic), ewuro (Yoruba), etidot (Efik), onugbu (Igbo), ityuna (Tiv), oriwo (Edo), Awɔnwono (Akan), chusar-doki (Hausa), mululuza (Luganda), labwori (Acholi), olusia (Luo), ndoleh (Cameroon) and olubirizi (Lusoga) is one of the widely use cooking vegetable in Africa and it can grow in any part of the world.
Very few people are aware that this vegetable is highly medicinal and can be used to cure diseases as well as help to keep our body in good health condition. The important thing this leaf does is to clean the blood, hence prevent sickness.
Apart from using it for cooking, bitterleaf is rarely used for any other thing because people are unaware of its miraculous health benefits. The sad part is that whenever it is used for cooking, almost all the nutrients are washed off the leaves. Even the leftovers are further lost to the cooking process: Thus leaving just a minute portion of its richness for our consumption.
Of course, bitterleaf has a bitter taste and it is true that most people can’t withstand it. But remember that the best of medicines comes with a bitter taste; and bitter leaf is ranked high among them.
From treating malaria, typhoid, diabetes, diarrhea, tuberculosis, gallstones and kidney disease, to the prevention of cancer and lowering of hypertension, the health benefits of bitter leaf goes on and on and on.
Below are 31 Amazing Healing Powers and Health Benefits of Bitter-leaf:
1) It relieves stomach ache
Almost everybody knows this because it is a well-known remedy for stomachaches. All you need do is to chew the tender stem of the plant like a chewing stick and swallow the bitterness and the ache will stop within few minutes.
An alternative is to pound the fresh leaves in a mortar and press out the juice. Add a pinch of salt to three tablespoons of the undiluted juice and drink. You will experience relief in no time.
2) It fights prostate cancer
Research has shown that prostate cancer is common among men who are over forty years old. And one of its known symptoms is difficult and painful urination.
Bitterleaf, on the other hand, is very good for this ailment. It increases the flow of urine and reduces the pain, as well as regulates the spread of the cell.
To fight prostate cancer with bitterleaf, simply squeeze the fresh leaves in water and take a glassful four times daily while you constantly go for a checkup. You’ll urinate frequently, but don’t worry about that because it is part of the cleansing process.
To make a drug of bitter herbs:
– Can be done by combining the bitter leaf with turmeric.
Curcumin in turmeric and substances that exist in the bitter andrographolide will be able to form a synergistic formula as a “cure cancer”.
Formula combination of bitter and turmeric as anticancer aligned with herbal formula. The combination of these two materials so that both components can mutually support and complement the existing deficiencies in the bitter as well as in turmeric.
3) It fights pneumonia
Pneumonia is a lung inflammation disease caused by bacterial or viral infection, in which the air sacs fill with pus and may become solid. Inflammation may affect both lungs (double pneumonia ) or only one ( single pneumonia
However, the miraculous plant is powerful enough to combat this condition.
And tackle it, squeeze the fresh leaves of the plant in water and take a glass-full thrice daily. Always remember to warm the solution on fire each time before drinking.
Do not boil, just warm. And continue the medication for a month.
Insomnia is a condition that promotes habitual sleeplessness. And as funny as it may sound, there are a lot of people experiencing this condition.
This group of people finds it impossible to sleep at night and no matter how hard they try, their effort is always met with wakefulness.
However, studies have shown that Bitter leaf extract has done wonders for those suffering from sleeplessness. Simply take two glasses of bitterleaf solution every night and you will experience a calmness that comes with relaxation and sleep.
5) It enhances fertility
Studies have shown that bitterleaf boosts the chances of pregnancy among women who are finding it difficult to conceive. And this because the detoxification power of bitter leaf helps prevent the pollution of the antibodies that fight diseases, initiate tissue repair and regeneration.
This is known to boost the fertility of the ovaries, significantly; as well as eliminating ovarian cyst and premature ovarian failure.
6) To Reduce the Fever
The bitterleaf contains an antiseptic that is very effective to reduce the heat inside. The content of andrographolide lactones, glucosides, diterpene,and flavonoids serve to reduce Fever. You must:
– Boil 10 grams of dried bitter leaf, 25g dried turmeric tuber (2.5 thumbs), and 200 cc of water.
– Boil until the water boils and stay 100 cc, then strain.
– When still warm, add 100 cc or mahogany cotton flower honey and stir properly.
– share into 3 parts, drink this three times a day.
7) To Lower Hypertension
Bitter compounds have complete among other substances andrographolide a bitter taste, alkaloid, and potassium. Andrographolide content of which can improve the body’s defense systems such as the production of white blood cells that attack bacteria and other foreign substances. High potassium in Bitter leaf useful to remove water and salt to treat hypertension.
Potassium compounds provide efficacy to lower blood pressure. Results of experiments on the water decoction of bitter leaf 10% at a dose of 0.3 ml / kg body weight can lower blood sugar levels that are comparable to the provision of glibenclamide suspension.
To reduce hypertension, we can use all of the parts or just the roots. To use it required:
The material is washed and boiled in 3 cups of water as much as usual.
– Boiling is carried out until the liquid is staying 3/4 her.
– Once filtered, as much as 3/4 cup cooking water is drunk.
– In one day we can drink it 2 times. It felt quite bitter.
8) For Treating Malaria
Malaria is a disease caused by the parasite plasmodium? To cure malaria,
– A handful of bitter leaf boiled in 4 cups of water.
– Allow up to 2 cups of water to stay alone. Drink 3 times a day.
9) Increase Endurance
Bitter substances have the typical form of andrographolide. Besides andrographolide, also has panni colin substances. Based on two elements, the bitter leaf is named andrographis paniculate.
Andrographolide and panni colin it is specific. Its main function is actually increasing endurance. So in the US, bitter patented as a medicine for AIDS? Generally to increase endurance, we can drink two cups a day of bitter herbs.
How to make:
– 10 grams of dried leaves were given 4 cups of water and
boil until 2 cups. Drink
10) For Treating Appendicitis
The bitterleaf can be used to treat appendicitis. The ingredients should be prepared to treat appendicitis is:
– Bitter leaf 30 grams, 400 ml water, and 1 tablespoon of honey.
– Boil as much as 30 grams of bitterleaf that has been cleaned in 400ml water.
– Boil until the remaining half, then strain the cooking water before and add 1 tablespoon of pure honey.Once cool, Drink this traditional herb 3 times a day on a regular basis.
Read Also: The Complete Classification of Crops
11) For Treating Diabetes
Andrographolide is the main active ingredient in bitter that serves to reduce levels of glucose in the blood. According to research, Munawara colleagues from Faculty of Pharmacy in 2004 that bitter leaf decoction can lower blood glucose levels in male rats.
Here’s how to mix the bitter leaf and make Bitter leaf as a diabetes drug:
– Bitter leaf approximately 5 grams of fresh leaves, pour 1 cup of hot water (boiled), after the cold and then filter.
– Distillate then drinks daily two times as much, morning and evening after meals.
12) For Overcoming Gallstones
Gallbladder (Vesica fellea) is one organ that is small and shaped muscular pouch where emersion a bile, attached below the surface of the liver. The gall bladder at night will be filled with bile, and will be issued in the morning. The gall bladder can be impaired, among which the formation of stones in the gall bladder and the presence of inflammation.
Ways of making obtain herbal remedy for gallstones from the bitter leaf:
– 30 grams of bitter fresh or 15 g of dry + 100 grams of corn silk + 30 grams meeting buffoonery (sliced) boiled with 800 cc of water until the remaining 400 cc, filtered, then the filtered water, add lemon juice and honey to taste, then taken to two times a day, every time 200 cc.
13) Treating Diarrhea
In addition, it can be used to treat dysentery, the benefits of bitter leaf for another digestive is to manage diarrhea that we suffer, do the same by making a herbal concoction to overcome bacillary dysentery:
– Take as much as 9-15 g of bitter leaf dried, then boiled in 3 cups water until the remaining 1 cup. After chilling filter properly.
– Drink this boiled concoction water 2 times a day, each 1/2 cup.
14) For Treating Bacillary Dysentery
Bacillary dysentery disease is a disease of the gastrointestinal tract with the stools is known to contain blood with / without mucus. Shigella bacteria are the bacteria that causes bacillary dysentery.
To fix this, you can mix the bitter leaf plant, the way is to take:
– 9-15 g of dried bitter leaf, then boiled in 3 cups of water until the remaining 1 cup.After chilling filtered. Drink boiled water 2 times a day, each 1/2 cup.
15) For Treating Typhoid
Typhoid is a disease caused by bacteria. consuming bitter leaf is able to kill the bacteria that cause typhoid.
How to treat typhoid:
– Wash 10-15 the bitter leaf,
– then boil with water,
– wait for it to boil and left to 1 cup,
– then remove and let cool water,
– then take water and pour the honey, then drink
– Do it this way with the routine by drinking three times a day, 1 cup.
16) For Treating Tuberculosis
Tuberculosis is a disease that attacks the lungs caused by tuberculosis bacillus. Lung disease is highly infectious airborne respiratory tract or through tuberculosis emitted during coughing. At first, a lung disease patients (tuberculosis) would develop inflammation of the lungs. Then increasingly pneumonia turned into sores and spread widely.
For those patients with pneumonia, you can treat it by using herbal bitterleaf, the way was the same as the way to cure dysentery or diarrhea above, namely by taking
– 9-15 g of bitterleaf dried, then boiled in 3 cups of water until remaining 1 glass. After chilling filtered. Drink boiled water 2 times a day, each 1/2 cup.
17) Treat Respiratory Tract Infections
Respiratory tract infections are infections that invade the human respiratory tract. Respiratory infections can be caused by viruses, bacteria, or other organisms. Secondary bacterial infections can also occur in patients with upper respiratory tract infections or bottom.
You can use the bitterleaf to treat it, the way is also the same as making potions for bacillary dysentery:
– Take 9-15 g of dried bitterleaf,
– then boiled in 3 cups of water until the remaining 1 cup.
– After chilling filtered.
Drink boiled water 2 times a day, each 1/2 cup.
18) Treat Kidney Disease
Kidney disease is a chronic disease that can be suffered. Kidney has an important function in the body, which functions as a filter. If kidney disease is left it will be fatal, it can even cause death.
– Fresh bitter leaf 30 grams or 15 grams of dried bitter leaf
Leaf cat whiskers.Corn hair.All of the above ingredients boiled with 1 liter of water, reserving half a liter.
– Then drink the water.
19) Overcoming Ear Inflammation
Ear inflammation can occur in any part of the outer ear (otitis externa) and the middle ear (otitis media). Acute ear inflammation is usually experienced by children.
Treatment using bitterleaf:
– Take fresh bitterleaf
– Wash the bitterleaf, blender / puree
– Strain and take the water
– Drops of water on a sore ear as much as 3 drops
– Do 4-5 times a day
20) Overcome Appendicitis
Disease appendicitis or commonly known as appendicitis occurs when the appendix (appendix) becomes inflamed and pus-filled swelling. This could be caused by a blockage by foreign objects (food) for food or foreign objects that are not easily digested. As a result of the blockage, then enlarged lymphoid tissue and enlargement (swelling) which is the means easy for bacteria to breed.
Swelling in the appendix of this if not treated immediately may rupture, causing infection of the lining of the abdomen. The incident was referred to as peritonitis.
How to made a treatment using bitterleaf:
– First, provide twenty pieces of bitter leaf. Wash the bitter leaf and then bitterleaf until finely ground. Then squeezed to take the juice. Consumed once depleted once a day.
– Second, prepare thirty grams of bitterleaf, honey and a tablespoon of water to boil 400 ml. Wash the bitterleaf and then boil it. let the water becomes half. Then enter the honey and stir well. Taken three times a day in a state of water is already cold. Do it regularly.
21) For Treating Toothache
Bitterleaf is also useful to treat a toothache, the way is to use:
– a fresh bitterleaf as much as 9-15 g
– boiled in 3 cups of water until the remaining 1 cup.
– After chilling filtered, then taken 2 times a day each 1/2 cup.
22) For Treating Leptospirosis
Bitterleaf able to treat infections such as leptospirosis. How it with given injections or tablets of bitterleaf extract.
23) For Treating Venom Insects
You can use the leaves and Tobacco Bitter taste. For maximum results, do it this way 2 times a day until the pain swelling and pain that arises is completely cured.
24) For Treating Mouth Inflammation
Bitter leaf is also efficacious for treating inflammation of the mouth, the way is by using a dry powder bitter herbs as much as 3 to 4.5 g brewed with hot water. When was cool add honey to taste and drink as well.
25) As a Drug For a Headache
The bitterleaf can also be utilized to eliminate the headaches, the way is also the same as making herbs for influenza above, create dry powder of 1 g of bitter brewed with a cup of hot water. After a cold drink at once, Do it 3-4 times a day.
26) Influenza Drug
Other benefits of bitter leaf to treat influenza. Influenza is not a dangerous disease, but we could have impaired breathing is difficult, even harder to sleep. To treat it using a dry powder of 1 g of bitter brewed with a cup of hot water. After a cold drink at once, Do it 3-4 times a day.
27) Bitter Leaf For Healthy Skin
The content andrografin, androfolit, and in a bitter panikulin a natural antibiotic. This content helps the body to reduce the risk of skin aging and againts the effects of free radicals.
The bitter extract is able to increase the body’s defense against infection that lowers the quality of the organs in the body, including the skin tissue.
There are a lot of skin problems, some skin problems can be cured with bitter leaf is:
To treat itching, provide:
1 gram of bitter leaf, 1 gram and 1 gram of ginger root fragrant.
Blend all ingredients until smooth like powder.
Dilute the mixture with water and then drunk 3 times a day.
29) Prevent and Eliminate Acne
2 lenglengan plant (leaves, stems, roots)
1 finger turmeric
1 finger rhizome of ginger
½ handheld bitter leaf
How to make:
Peel turmeric and ginger. Then wash all the ingredients. Boil all ingredients with 3 cups water to boil. After that fire is diminished and herb cooked until the water a half portion. Strain, give a little time to drink palm sugar / honey, stir and drink 2xsehari, every day.
Drying the bitter leaf to dry. Mash until smooth dried leaves and powder. Sprinkle powdered wounds and sores with the dry bitter.
Take a handful of leaves and sulfur bitter taste. Combine the two ingredients are then ground until smooth. Apply the mixture on the skin of the sick. Repeat the treatment until cured.
Bitter Leaf Side Effects
Bitter leaf safe to be consumed in the right amounts. Side effects that may arise in the form are loss of appetite, diarrhea, vomiting, rash, headache, runny nose, and fatigue.
Dose Of Use Bitter Leaf
Andrographolide content in the bitter leaf can be provided only about 4-6% only. The relatively varied bitter dose to 1,200 mg. Such as problems, fever, and tonsillitis, the dose is 40 mg per day. For children with disorders of the upper respiratory system about 30 mg for up to 10 days.