We all love having mangoes in summers but having too much of this juicy fruit can have side effects on your health. Read on to find out about them.
Mango is one of the only reasons to love and wait for the summer season.
This fruit belongs to the flowering species of plant Mangifera. Mango has its different varieties which have their distinct taste, colour and flavour.
One of the most popular varieties of the fruit is Alphonso, which is one of the most expensive ones.
Mangoes are not only delicious, but also nutritious. As with most foods, however, moderation is key.
Sweet fruits like mangoes can have a lot of sugar. But fruit sugar is different from processed sugar because it’s balanced out by fiber and a host of nutrients for the body.
And this fruit is packed with several health benefits as well.
These are the side effects of mango;
(1) Overeating mangoes may cause diarrhoea. So, it is always recommended to have a moderate consumption of this fruit.
Because mango is rich in fibre and high consumption of fibrous fruits may cause diarrhoea problem.
(2) Since it has high natural sugar content so it may be harmful to diabetics. So, if you also have diabetes then consult your doctor before having them.
(3) Mangoes can be allergic to some people and they may experience watery eyes, runny nose, breathing problems, abdominal pain, sneezing etc. So, if you face any one of them, stop your consumption of mangoes for some days to see if there happen any changes in the symptoms.
(4) Mango contains a chemical called urushiol. People sensitive to this chemical may experience dermatitis on them.
It’s a skin problem where people have inflamed skin which becomes flaky, itchy and blistery.
(5) The king of fruit is high in calorie content which may cause weight gain among some people.
One average-sized mango has 150 calories in it. So, if you are controlling your weight so always maintain the portion for eating mangoes.
(6) This fruit may often cause indigestion, especially raw mangoes. So, avoid eating raw mangoes in large quantities.
(7) Artificial ripening is done in many countries including India to produce fresh mangoes fast during the summer. But this type of mango is not at all safe for our health.
Because artificial ripening is done by a chemical called calcium carbide, which is banned in many countries.
(8) Mangoes may often cause anaphylactic shock in some people. It’s an allergic reaction which includes the symptoms of nausea, vomiting, shock etc. If not treated properly within time, this may cause unconsciousness.
(9) Overeating of mangoes may also cause fever or urticaria. Hives or urticaria is a skin condition which causes skin rash, itchiness and redness of the skin. This issue is triggered by certain foods, medication or stress.
(10) According to some researches, mango increases the heat of our body. However, it is slightly contradictory and needs more research.
Common mistakes that causes mango to affect your health;
(1) Eating mango when hungry
Absolutely not eat mango when hungry, even the mango is ripe because they are still sour, can damage the stomach. The sour taste of this fruit will stimulate the stomach to increase gastric juice and the risk of bowel disease.
Moreover, it is easy to lead to the risk of being drunk, temporarily poisoned when used hungry.
(2) Eating mango too ripe
Do not eat too many mangoes because you may not get the vitamin C needed for your body.
(3) Eating too much mangoes at the same time
Do not eat too much mango for a while, especially those who have hot spots, chills, overweight, obesity, diabetes mellitus, the more you should eat mango.
Note: Patients having arthritis should consume mangoes in a very small amount.
Check this out: Surprising Health Benefits Vitamin C you need to know
Read Also: Health Benefits of Mango